Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Oh the Weather Outside is...

Awesome! I love this time of year when the winter weather starts taking effect and everything that goes with it. Starbucks Peppermint Hot Chocolates, bundling up in fuzzy coats and soft scarves to go outside, snuggling with Saddie when I get home, and curling up under a warm blanket every night. The weather today is finally down into the 50’s after many weeks of a warm spell and something about the cold weather pushes my holiday mood into full force.

This is an e-mail my mom sent to me a couple weeks ago:
One of my coworkers, just reminded me of a wonderful memory of you that I want to share with you….

Her daughter just started college back East and she called her and said it was snowing today. She was so excited, being that she was raised out here.

The first time you saw snow, I think you were about three, and your sister and you and I went to Michigan for our first Christmas with Grandma and Grandpa. As the plane landed, everyone started shouting and were all excited and saying “Oh my God……..it’s snowing” and you started crying, because you didn’t know what that meant or why everyone was making all that racket and I had to calm you down and tell you that it was OK and show you the snow out the window of the plane and tell you how much fun we would have playing in it. I bet you don’t remember that and I don’t remember if I ever told you that story, but I have a lot of wonderful memories of you and your sister…………………………Love and Kisses……….MOM


Maybe I associate this cold weather with the holidays because we spent so many Christmases in Michigan in even colder weather. I remember the days of traveling to there for the holidays as a kid and being so excited to experience a white Christmas. I would sit in the window of my grandparent’s house, watching the snow fall and feeling anxious for it to pile high enough for us to be able to play in it. Then Melanie and I would bundle up and spend hours outside making snow angels, building snow men, sledding, and having snow ball fights. There was always good memories of Grandma and Grandpa’s house and all the amazing Christmases we were lucky enough to experience with them.
























No comments: