Thursday, September 11, 2008

Seven Years Ago Today...

I usually watched the news in the morning as I got ready. I turned on the TV that day and could hear the audio before the picture even came up (really old TV!) and knew something was really wrong! I was always careful not to wake up Jonathan but this day I went and woke him and told him "You may want to come watch this."

A few minutes later we watched the second tour fall. The first thing I said was "Think of all those people that were down there trying to help." Just imagining all the brave people who were trying to help and now lost their lives.

At work that morning, someone knew we had a TV in our conference room and asked if they could turn it on. A few of us were watching when my boss came in. She had no idea.

I remember the sounds of the jet fighters flying over our house that night and it still gives me the chills. How secure and safe I felt only the day before, now feeling like I lived in a war zone. Not really certain if it would be some time soon. And then thinking of all those people that really do live in a war zone and how they can manage feeling that every day of their lives with no hope in site.

Even seven years later, it's still fresh in my mind as if it were yesterday. Though it seems so trivial now, I am glad I put the flag out this morning. Maybe some one else will be reminded and wonder how it's possible that they could ever possibly forget.

No comments: